Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sims....Double Take

So Tim asked that I elaborate on my initial comment that Sims is a metaphor for life...and since I do EVERYTHING he asks, I will comply. But since I also happen to be LAZY- I will pull my words from my man Chuck. Chuck Klosterman that is.

I happen to think that Chuck Klosterman is a GENIUS and definitely on to something...

So here's where we agree where it comes to The Sims --

"What makes The Sims so popular is its dogged adherence to the minutiae of subsistence, and that's where we're supposed to feel the realism. But the realism I felt was the worst kind; it was the hopeless realization that I was doomer to live in my own prison, just like the singer of Creed. The Sims makes the unconscious conscious, but not in an existential Zen way; The Sims forces you to think about how even free people are eternally enslaved by the processes of living. Suddenly I had to plan to take a shower. And though I need to do all those things in reality, the thoughts scarely cross my mind unless I'm plugged into this game."

I played The Sims for a one-time period of six months. After six months it just gets DEPRESSING. It's like you're literally outside looking in (specifically true in my case as I thought it would be rad to make my Sim as close to a spitting image of me as possible). Note to those who want to jump into the Sim arena- make your Sim have as little resemblance to your true self as possible... SCARY

That reminds me..... I need to go pee....

1 comment:

Anna said...

"The Sims forces you to think about how even free people are eternally enslaved by the processes of living."

This becomes painfully obvious in the mornings when i HAVE to shower.